Aston Martin trims WEC line up, Turner shifts across to partner Stanaway

Autosport

Aston Martin has slimmed down its driver line-up for the remainder of the World Endurance Championship.

Two rather than three drivers will race each of the Aston Martin Racing GTE Pro class entries in the final six WEC rounds, starting at the Nurburbring on July 24.

Darren Turner will swap cars to share the #97 Aston Martin Vantage GTE with Richie Stanaway, leaving Nicki Thiim and Marco Sorensen to race the #95 car.

AMR team principal Paul Howarth said: “With the second half of the season due to begin, we have had to consider what is best for the team.

“With a focused driver line-up, this should help give us the best possible chance of success this year.”

AMR has stressed that Fernando Rees and Jonny Adam, who previously partnered Stanaway, would remain part of the Aston set-up.

“I’d like to thank Fernando and Jonny for their efforts this year, particularly on their sterling job at the Le Mans 24 Hours,” Howarth said.

“They have each put in fantastic performances and we look forward to continuing to work with them in our wider AMR activities.”

Aston Martin leads the GT manufacturers’ standings after its two cars were the second and third-placed WEC entries in GTE Pro at Le Mans last month.

Thiim, Sorensen and Turner are third in the drivers’ classification, six points ahead of Stanaway, Rees and Adam.

The team’s GTE Am line-up of Pedro Lamy, Mathias Lauda and Paul Dalla Lana remains unchanged.

Aston Martin trims WEC line up, Turner shifts across to partner Stanaway

  • Autosport
    About The Author
    -

    five × two =

    You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>

    Related stories