WILL Power has won for the third time this season, using a victory on the street course at Toronto to tie Team Penske teammate Simon Pagenaud for the most wins this season.
A caution with four laps remaining set up a one-lap shootout for the victory, Power pulling away from teammate Helio Castroneves to give Penske a 1-2 sweep.
Toronto native James Hinchcliffe finished third for his first career podium at his home race.
Power surged into the lead late in the race after he and his Team Penske squad made the right calls on race strategy, while his chief rivals Scott Dixon and Simon Pagenaud fell into the pack on the final round of pit stops.
Last-start race winner Josef Newgarden crashed and finished last in the 22-car field. Newgarden was coming off a dominating victory last week on the oval at Iowa despite a broken right wrist suffered in a crash at Texas in June.
Power’s victory — his third in the last four races — vaults him into second in the standings, 47 points behind Pagenaud.
More to follow.
RESULTS — IndyCar Series Rd. 11, Honda Indy Toronto
1. (12) Will Power (Chevy) 85 laps
2. (3) Helio Castroneves (Chevy) +1.5275s
3. (5) James Hinchcliffe (Honda) +2.5303s
4. (10) Tony Kanaan (Chevy) +3.7758s
5. (14) Takuma Sato (Honda) +4.0568s
6. (7) Mikhail Aleshin (Honda) +5.1145s
7. (11) Sebastien Bourdais (Chevy) +5.6393s
8. (9) Scott Dixon (Chevy) +6.1020s
9. (22) Simon Pagenaud (Chevy) +6.6355s
10. (27) Marco Andretti (Honda) +6.9746s
11. (83) Charlie Kimball (Chevy) +7.4782s
12. (28) Ryan Hunter-Reay (Honda) +8.0690s
13. (15) Graham Rahal (Honda) +8.5989s
14. (19) Luca Filippi (Honda) +8.9217s
15. (18) Conor Daly (Honda) +9.4068s
16. (98) Alexander Rossi (Honda) +9.6896s
17. (26) Carlos Munoz (Honda) +10.0568s
18. (8) Max Chilton (Chevy) +10.6502s
19. (20) Spencer Pigot (Chevy) +11.4494s
20. (2) Juan Pablo Montoya (Chevy) +1 lap
DNF (41) Jack Hawksworth (Honda) 80 laps, crash
DNF (21) Josef Newgarden (Chevy) 57 laps, crash